Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I Promise I'm Alive!

I know I didn't blog about this before, and not many people knew, but for the last several months I was in the process of joining the Army. As of last Friday I swore in and am officially in! I will be leaving at the end of September and I will be gone for a very long time.

Thinking back a year ago this wasn't the direction I was going in. I was trying so hard to get my art work off the ground and make that my occupation and I had put so much effort into it that only selling one painting in the span of a year really struck a blow to my spirit. Don't get me wrong, I still paint and can continue to do so, but in terms of possibly getting that off the ground didn't seem to feasible. I started to feel lost again and being 28 I remembered something a few months ago that I have forgotten for a long time...I wanted to join the Army. I wanted to do that even before I went to college. When I looked more into it I found out that 29 is the cut off for active duty and I decided to throw my hat in that arena for a change.

I have a 6 year commitment and I will be a type of linguist so I will be going to language school for a year in California. I have always wanted to learn a language well enough to be conversational and getting the opportunity to be in one of the best school's in the world is exciting.

One of the more difficult things is leaving my animals, my boyfriend, my friends, and my family. I haven't lived near a lot of my friends in a long time nor my parents but being available to see them every so often makes it easier and now I won't even get that. Leaving Andrew and "our kids" is the worst. He's in the Army so his schedule makes it crazy hard to see him as it is but he's proud of me and that makes me feel very fortunate.

I have been slacking in my creativity lately but I think I want to have one more burst of artistic indulgence before I leave in September so I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment