Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Down to the Wire

This is it. I leave this coming Monday.

I'll be shutting down my Etsy page this weekend for the foreseeable future until I am done training and actually get stationed somewhere that I can set up my printer and what-not.

I also got engaged last Friday, September 14th.

It was nice and really unexpected. The story of our engagement goes something like this:

He came home from work and I was still in my pajamas (don't judge). After our initial greetings he walked over to the dinner table to set a few things down and I mentioned that I needed to go to Wal-Mart to get batteries for my car key and while I was fussing over something on the table he said "Yea, ok, but will you marry me first?" I turned around, saw him on his knee with an open box and I jumped backwards, slamming myself into the wall and said "Right now??? I don't even look cute!" This got him to start laughing and whole time I'm saying "ARE YOU SERIOUS??" at which point he felt the need to ask me what my answer was. Haha. Obviously I said "yes" after the shock and I called friends and family while he cooked me dinner on the grill.

I enjoyed the way he decided to do it. I later found out that he meant to cook me dinner and do it then but couldn't hold his water so did it as soon as he got home. He knows I don't like public engagements with people everywhere looking at you and knowing your business and that cliche things like inside a teddy bear or stuffed animal just do do it for me. Putting it inside food or drink is a strict NO as well. That is just icky.

Most of the time that we spend with our significant others is spent doing ordinary things, usually at home, and I find it fitting being proposed to while doing something like that. It seems sincere to me and while I would have definitely preferred to have at least looked a little nicer it just emphasizes my point a bit more that I wasn't.

I had finally gotten dressed when a friend of mine insisted that I take an engagement day picture. Here is the result of said request:



Yup. Take a goooood look. This is the man I've decided to spend the rest of my life with...Haha.

We will be engaged for quite awhile due to all the training I will have to do over the next year and a half, but we're both ok with that and looking forward to having a long time to plan things.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I decided to sell Jenny, my car. What an experience that was.

I got an estimate from Kelly Blue Book and I knew that CarMax or a dealership wouldn't match it but I thought I would see what I could get for it if I had difficulty selling it online....Holy smokes. They offered $4,000 less than it was worth! No freakin' way. I know you have to turn around and sell it for a profit, but NO. So Craiglist was the next place I figured would help me get closer to what it was worth.

I'd like to take this moment to describe the circus that is Craiglist.

First, I am somewhat uncomfortable selling my wares on a website that not only has a rant column dedicated to the musings of people who I'm pretty sure should be committed, but that also allows people to place ads for people who are seeking marital affairs from their spouses with an emphasis on "no-strings-attached". Not a quality place to be doing business if you ask me.

Despite the obvious con's I put an ad on there for my car anyway because it seemed like the easiest thing to do. I should have known that when you put a reasonably priced Mercedes on Craigslist that the first people to become interested are invariably anyone who is a sociopath. The first guy to contact me tried making it seem like my car wasn't anywhere near the value that I had asked for and tried to smooth-talk me into receiving considerably less for it. Lucky for me I'm not an idiot and told him I would think about it (just to get him off the phone). He kept texting me about the car and if anyone was interested and finally agreed to a price more fitting to what I knew I should get. Fast forward to the day he was coming to get the car and pay me--no show. Essentially he annoyed the crap out of me for 2 days, didn't show, and for the next 2 days had the nerve to text me and ask if the car had been sold yet.

Thankfully he stopped because I was about the block his number.

The next interested buyer turned out to be a Nigerian internet scam. Yup. Took me a whole day to figure it out because initially the person wasn't that pushy and wasn't asking me for information about myself but eventually it all came out and I reported it.

Just as I was starting to feel bummed about my chances of selling the car a nice couple inquired about it. Andrew and I met up with them, they thoroughly looked over the car and test drove it and agreed to purchase it ::::insert big sigh and lots of yay's::::

Although I felt relieved that it was one less thing I was going to have to worry about once I leave, that car was kind of a big deal for me. It was the first car that ever had just MY name on it. It was the first car that I bought out-right and never owed anything for it. It was one of the few things that I didn't have to worry about while going through my divorce. As stupid as having a minor attachment to an inanimate object is, I still had one for that car.

The day came to hand over the car, Andrew and I washed it one last time, drove it up to Raleigh and met them at my bank. I signed over the title and notarized a bill of sale and said goodbye to Jenny one last time. Don't get me wrong, I didn't cry or anything (I've known people to do that) but I kept rambling a little too much to the new owner I guess to not have to let it go so quickly.

The car was the one big-ticket item that I needed to take care of before all the rest of the packing and sorting that needed to take place before I leave so seeing the new owner drive away with Jenny made things hit home a little more. Since Saturday I have been without a car and pretty much stuck at home to look at all the things that need to get done in the short spam of time that I have left. It's all a little unnerving but things will turn out alright, right?

Right?????

Saying bye to my normal life--


No comments:

Post a Comment