Friday, September 7, 2012

Hi Dad


Florida, my last vacation fling before I become military property...

It would make sense, of course, that when we showed up the first 3-4 days were spent drenched in tropical storm rainfall. We made up for it by catching up on some much needed television programming and, like all girls who are bored, we went shopping.

After much waiting the sun finally came out and we were about to have some beach time with a view that looked much like this-- 
                                                                                                                    

I will have you all know that this man apparently couldn't get enough hotdogs because he kept swallowing them whole. He was so excited that he didn't even feel the need to get hotdog buns. I'd also like to know why he's wearing no shirt... no pants... but found it a necessity to wear gloves.

This wasn't even an isolated incident. There were old men in banana hammocks everywhere! I always imagined that young, Daniel Craig-looking-men were the type of men to wear Speedos and, frankly, I'm ok with that situation. I'm ok with fit individuals wearing next-to-nothing clothing because all the right body parts are in all the right places. Young men also wouldn't be so eager to wear Speedos hip-high with ass cheeks hanging out...such as in the picture above. What I had envisioned and what actually took place were totally and completely different. Not only did we end up at beaches where there were next to no young adults in sight, we ended up at what appeared to be an exclusively elderly gay beach. 

Maybe old men living in hot climates have just become indifferent about parading around with their privates on display to the general public. Maybe they grew tired of cotton/polyester blend outfits and traded for woven nylon and spandex. Whatever the case may be, don't let t.v. trick you in to believing that Fort Lauderdale and South Beach are a mecca of gorgeous young people or else you'll end up driving over an hour out of your way to spend it avoiding eye contact with every old person who just doesn't give a damn anymore.

Despite the reason behind all the flashy butt cheeks and scary man boobs there were flocks of old men with this same mentality and it took a little adjusting in the beginning but after the initial shock Tess and I were able to refocus on other activities.

For one, I tried Cuban food for the  first time in my life and I looooooooooooved it. Who knew that plantain's were so amazing??? I'm not kidding. Deep-fried with garlic and olive oil and red and green peppers is just plain delicious. I had some incredible food down there. My idea of Hispanic food is anything Tex-Mex. Wrong. According to my favorite Puerto-Rican, Mexican food "is basically white people food now." Haha. I wish I had a picture of a few of the dishes that I had because it's my new love. If you have the opportunity to have Cuban food, do it...except ceviche...it's raw seafood and it's slimey and gross and that's coming from someone who likes sushi. I paid $24 for a ceviche dish >>this big<< at an expensive, high-end restaurant and it was plain awful.

On our last day we decided to go big and scheduled parasailing trip.


Those pictures say it all. It was incredible. As you may notice we were flying high up in the air and I dared to bring my camera...a bit risky but worth it from the pictures. When Andrew saw them he said "Wait, so you took my camera? What the hell?" Haha. Oops.

Knowing that my life is about to change in a big way I was glad to kick my shoes off and do things I wanted to for one last time.Tess and I have been wanting to go on a trip together for the longest time....years infact. Her and I are about to go on our own little adventure's so I think it was more than fitting that this trip happened right before the huge unknown that's about to come. Great vacations like this one never seem long enough, though, and it only puts into perspective the little time  that we have left to hang out with everyone that we love before we go our separate ways.

It was Labor Day Weekend by the time we got back from our trip so Tess headed to D.C. with Pat while Andrew and I went to Wilmington.

Andrew has this obsession with bogey-boards that I will never understand so that's what we spent most of our time doing. Initially we were the only adults in the water with one, standing next to all the 8 year old's, but when one dork does something then all the rest feel comfortable about coming out of their shells too. Soon after realizing that an adult dork was out in the water with a board (who had a female along for that matter) all the other adult dorks shyly came out clutching their beloved bogey-boards. It was a sight to see.

The one day was amazing though. There were about 50 pelicans out close to shore catching fish. I wish I had a better camera because none of my pictures did it justice. I've never seen that many pelicans in one spot and they were beautiful to look at.

The second day we were there it started to rain (I'm so sick of rain) and it didn't end til we left the next day. Andrew and I really don't get to go on legit vacations together so I was a little sad that we didn't get to have as much beach time as we would have liked but before we left. I enjoy the fact that he likes going to the beach with me. He's a fun beach person and he'll make the best out of any situation so the weekend was by no means a bust just because of the rain.

We're home now and life is back to normal. I'm trying to sell my car, figuring out what I have to do to get ready to leave at the end of the month, and trying to enjoy every last minute with the people I care about the most.

What a summer it has been.






(today's title comes from the fact that I received a call the other week from my Dad who made it known that he reads my blog. Seeing that he's probably one of the only readers who intentionally comes to this site to read my blog-- Hi Dad!!!)







No comments:

Post a Comment